Sunday, January 02, 2005

The beginning of the year/end of the year ... whatever

So, the calendar says to go buy a new one and we do. The end of the year is always met with bittersweet feelings. On one hand you're glad that the year is over, especially when you think back to some of the shit you slogged through. But on the other hand, there were some real good times too and you wonder if this year is going to be better.

I hope so. Not that I had a bad year: I got engaged, the Sox won the World Series and a bunch of other cool things happened, but I don't want 2004 to be the apex of my life. That would suck. I hope that every year is better than the one before.

For New Year's Eve, Aly and I visited Danna and Rick and it was pretty chill. Friday night we went to Morton's steak house in White Plains and had an awesome, awesome meal. I had the double filet for the main course with a side of hash browns. For an appetizer I had scallops wrapped in bacon as well as Caesar salad.

We also got a bottle of wine and a surprise, after Rick chose the wine, the steward came over to us and said, "This bottle of wine is complements of Mike and Donna." My parents went through the trouble of calling information, finding the number for the White Plains Morton's and then telling them to put the wine on their card. That was awesome, and I was completely touched by that gesture. Sort of made me feel bad about what I wrote on Wednesday.

The rest of the weekend, we have done nothing. Saturday we dicked around Danna and Rick's place until about 3:00 when we went to the mall. We got something to eat, I bought "America: The Book" by the folks at the Daily Show and then Aly and I took off. We would've normally stayed until today, but Aly is starting her job on Monday and wanted to get her bearings before the big day tomorrow, can't say that I blame her. Starting a new job is always tough.

We were originally supposed to hang out with Aly's friend Erin. She's a 4'10" lesbian that's built like a bowling ball and is as tough as nails. Aly's told me so many stories about this chick, that I really wanted to meet her. Unfortunately, she never came up, so we just got some Chinese food and called it a night.

This morning, we decided to go to church. It was the Epiphany Mass where the Wise Men visit Jesus but don't stab him in the back by telling Herrod where he is. (Herrod was going to kill him, like he did with all of the young boys born during that time). As I'm listening to the Gospel, which (truthfully) is the best part of Mass because it's a more "historical" part of the mass, it hit me how much I hate January and February and just how different December 20-23 is from January 2-5.

I've had this feeling since I was a kid and what I mean by this is, during those December days you're really focused on the holidays and family. People's spirits are lighter and while there is a chill in the air, it doesn't seem as cold. If you happen to go to church and hear the readings before hand, you know something good is coming (presents, family, etc.) Then Christmas week comes and goes and then it's after New Year's and then where are you?

You're right back where you started, except you now have to wait about a year before you can see your extended family, it's going to snow for the next two to three months and work (and school) begin with a vengeance tomorrow. I guess if you love your job, that's not the worst thing in the world, but I don't, so it sucks. What

I'm trying to get at is, ten days ago you were pumped about the unknown of Christmas, the presents, the thrills, the laughs, now it's over and you have to get on with your ordinary life.

As far as resolutions go, I'm only going to make a couple of them. Last year I made two and kept one. They were to keep in touch with my friends better (did not do) and write more (which, thanks to this Blog, I've been doing).

This year I'm really going to get serious about getting in shape, Aly and I talked about training for a 5 or 10K. The other thing that I'm going to do, and I'm sure you're sick of hearing about it, is really get my cartoon moving. I'm still working on my last one, and after that, it's just getting the site up and running. If I can do both of these, my 2005 will be better than 04.

BTW, I got a few requests for upcoming 19 Thoughts, so I'm going to try and do those ... both of the ideas were really good.

No comments: