Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Normally, I don't usually do this ...

What I'm talking about is posting from work, but since my boss isn't here and it's sort of a slow day, I'm going to try and catch up on some stuff that happened over the weekend.

First, I forgot about the band on Friday night at the office Christmas party. They were called Horizons and we were thinking about them for our wedding. They had a good set going, doing all of the traditional stuff and they sounded pretty good. The make up of the group (and this is important for the story) were four white guys and a white chick.

All of a sudden, the lead singer (and keyboardist) dips into a bag, pulls out a White Sox hat, puts it on backwards and a pair of Raybans. Then you hear nine words that should never have come out of this dude's mouth, even if he was in the shower, "I like big butts and I can not lie."

They started singing or rapping, whatever, Sir Mix A Lot's "Baby Got Back". It was embarrassing, I said to someone, "Sir Mix A Lot is rolling over in his grave," but they didn't think that was funny. Somewhere Henny Youngman is rolling over in his grave. Needless to say, that crossed a band off our list. To paraphrase SML, "They had (no) game so we chose to hit 'em."

Saturday was a day of looking at apartments, we started in lovely Waltham where the place was nice, the landlord sort of goofy but cool, but it would be a big pain for Aly to get into her office. So, we put the kibosh on that. Our next appointment was in the North End, so we hightailed it from Waltham to Boston, through a minor snowstorm. When we found a place to park and located the apartment, we called the woman who owned the place.

"Gee, I was hoping that you'd blow me off. My boyfriend gave the (apartment) keys to the realtor and they're closed for the weekend. I can't show you the place."

Thanks for telling us, bitch. Really, that was fucking real sweet of you. So, we're looking at this place on Thursday again, but unless she pays us to take it, I doubt that we'll move in there. People are fucking dumb.

Saturday night, Aly and I went out with Ryan (the very same Ryan from Ryan's Record Review), Kristen, Keri and Byrnie. We were originally supposed to go to a bar-b-que place in Methuen, but because of the weather (it was really snowing pretty badly up there) it was closed. We ended up going to Bugaboo Creek, which wasn't too bad. I got a nice steak and it was all good. After that we just went back to Rye's place, which is fucking awesome and just hung out for a few hours.

Sunday, Aly had a Christmas lunch with her friends, so I was able to get some stuff done, including my last strip. This means that all I have to do is get my scanner up and running and bring it over to Nick so we can upload this thing. I'm probably going to get the scanner set up on Monday (I have the day off for MLK). After that Andrew took me, Josh and Eddie to the Capital Grille for our Christmas meal.

Jesus, this was awesome. Drew got us a kick-ass bottle of wine, we all got steaks and appetizers and desserts, the whole Magilla. I'm not sure how much it cost, but he insisted that he pay. It was an unbelievably nice thing to do. When he emailed us about it on Tuesday, I was completely shocked. And to add to his gratitude he asked how our honeymoon plans were going and I told him how we needed 6,000 more miles to get a free ticket to Hawaii.

Without a second thought he said, "I'll give you the six K. Don't worry about it."

Nice? Generous? Those words can't even begin to describe Andrew Bannon. Aly and I are planning to take him and his girlfriend out to a Washington Nationals game and dinner in April, but that's not even going to begin to make up for what he's done. The one thing that this Blog has shown me is that my friends are incredible people, I only hope that I can be half as good to them as they are to me.

Monday we looked at another place, this one was just outside of Porter Square. It wasn't too bad, a bit small for my tastes, but not too bad. The one thing that I'm concerned about is how Aly will get to the T. It's a seven-minute walk to the station, but it's through a sketchy neighborhood. Also, Aly didn't like the looks of the outside of the building.

The whole place reminded me of a college dorm room. I think this may be our last resort place. We're supposed to look at a place in Brookline tonight, hopefully that one will be a bit better.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be at my parents' place, so that is where I'm going to give a wrap up of the movies I saw this year. I bet you guys can't wait.

No comments: