Monday, August 16, 2004

Insomnia sucks

This is what I get for taking a nap today. It's about 12:10 am and I can't sleep. I know that in about six hours and 30 minutes I'm going to have to get up and begin the week anew, but right now I can't sleep at all. I have a million thoughts running through my head about work, my living situation, my overall future, I guess.

It sucks because from your bed, you can't do anything about this stuff except think about how impossible your situation is. I've been doing this off and on since I was in seventh grade, it used to be so bad I would completely freak out, but as my life has progressed, everything has worked out well for me.

That's just a tough lesson to remember after midnight on Sunday.

The thing is, I shouldn't be worried or sad at all. I have the best girlfriend, family and friends that anyone can have. In about a month, I'm going to turn 30 and for the last year, Aly has been telling me that she's going to throw me a surprise party. Aly is the best, but the one thing she really sucks at is keeping secrets, and the one thing that I'm pretty good at is find shit out. The odds were not stacked in her favor.

So last night, her and I, along with her friends from New York, Rick and Danna went out to dinner in Boston. Then we were to meet Aly' roommate's (Sara) boyfriend's (Justin) friends who had flown up from DC at this trendy bar in Downtown Crossing. Honestly, I wasn't looking forward to it. Danna, Aly and I stayed up until 3 am the previous night drinking and swapping stories, so I was tired. I also wasn't in the mood to jibber jabber with a bunch of dudes.

So we got to the bar and I was happy because at least the Sox were on, and Rick and I could watch that. We were met by Sara who said that Justin's friends were in the other room. When I turned the corner, everyone that I'm close with yelled surprise. Aly completely fooled me. I mean, I was floored. No one had ever done something like that for me in my entire life. After they said Surprise! I just looked at Aly and kept saying, "Is this for me? Is this for me?" it was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

All of my college friends were there: Skaus and Sara, Nick and his new girlfriend Debbie, Reddish, Julie and Tom, Chris and Colleen, Kim (Jamie was babysitting). My parents and Jay were there. All of my other friends were there too: Ryan and Kristen, Keri and Byrnie, Eddie and Drew, Brownie, Ellie and Bill, Aunty Jane and Uncle Gene, Erin and JT. Not to mention Aly's folks, her sister and husband, her cousin Anthony and all of her friends, Stacey, Liz and Tim, Mimi and her new boyfriend and Justin and Sara. I hope I didn't forget anyone, but it was a great crowd. And I honestly feel that I am luckiest guy in the world, Aly said there were only a few no's in the evite that she sent out.

I felt like George Bailey from "It's A Wonderful Life" where he talks about how if a man has friends, he's the richest man in the world. Well, I feel like Bill Gates times the Sultan of Brunai. In every friendship, there is bound to be an argument or a misunderstanding. When that happens, I'm just going to think back on last night and remind myself of how lucky I am to have a bunch of people who actually give a shit about me.

When I was in junior high school and didn't have many friends, I never thought that there would be a time when almost 50 people would give up their Saturday night for me. I'm glad that I am Byron Magrane.

No comments: