Wednesday, July 14, 2004

It sucks when the Red Sox aren't on ... or does it?

Normally, the All-Star break just blows. There is no baseball, the rest of the networks are in summer reruns and I'm too lazy to read.

This year is a bit different. I sort of have a life with things to do besides watch TV and goof off in front of my computer. Actually, I have a thing (singular) to do.

It was game five of my resurrected (is that how you spell resurected? I wish I could ask Jesus, I bet he'd know. Christ was a hell of a speller, I believe he was all Gallilee County at the Grammar Rodeo. No shit.) softball career. We came roaring back with nine runs in the sixth inning to beat the other team 16-13. Yours truly went 2-3, with a pair of RBIs and two runs scored. Without me, we lose 13-12.

Maybe, maybe not. I also played some pretty good defense. It feels good to contribute. I upped my average to an even .400 (6-15). God, what a geek, but hey, I'm having a good time. It's all about confidence ... kids remember that. Confidence.

So I'm watching TV now (very surprising) and I have to say that VH1 has done another good job with a list show. I Love the 90s is the latest in a long line of I Love shows. And this is cool.

Is it too early for a retrospective on a decade that ended four years ago? Yeah. Most definitely. But, they were going to do it any way because I Love the 70s and 80s were so insanely popular. I've been totally obsessed with the series having watched two episodes on Monday, one yesterday and one today. I have the other two (1992 and 1994) TiVoed. I have to find time to watch it.

A friend of mine is leaving work on Friday. Actually I used to hate this guy when I first met him, I thought he was a loud-mouthed New York prick. But he kind of grew on me and now I don't think he's so creepy. If you get past the whole New York thing, he's really one of the nicest people I work with.

A couple of us went out to lunch with him today, and I think he was a bit disappointed that more people didn't go. In fact I know he was disappointed. That sucks. Chuck is a good guy, but I think he thinks that he should be a bit more popular. I wanted to tell him, "Dude it's work, who fucking cares?" But I don't think he'd get it.

Then he said to me, "Byron you don't really seem to be in a clique here at work. Why not?" I was like "There are cliques here?" Playing dumb, then I said "Dude I have enough people pissed at me, no need to have more people mad."

Not very witty, but sort of true. Actually the truth is work is fucking work. I don't care if anyone likes me. Speaking of people liking me, or not liking me. I got an email from that chick Shelly who ripped me for my "letter" that we spoke about yesterday and the day before.

She apologized (as an aside I'm watching the I Love the 90s and Time writer Joel Stein comes on. This guy is on every fucking list show. VH1, TLC, E!, The Weather Channel. Everything. I bet he doesn't even write any more.) and said she'd let her readers know the real story.

Ok, I have to go brush my teeth.

No comments: