Wednesday, July 21, 2004

I'm an asshole

Today, for some reason, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Actually, that's incorrect, when I woke up I was in a fine mood. I got enough sleep, I thought that the Red Sox won and I jumped in the shower. When I got out of the shower, I saw that the Sox blew it in the 11th and I got ready to go to work.

It takes about 50 minutes to get from Somerville, where I live, to Marblehead, where I work. Normally this isn't that bad of a commute, but I'm getting real sick of it. Driving simply sucks. When I got to work I realized that I had to go to Best Buy to pick up an iPod for a conference.

I drive into Danvers and go into Best Buy. No dice. I walk next door to Target and asked if they have iPods. The worker said yes, so I went to the electronics department and wait for five minutes. This 16-year-old kid walks by and ask him where the electronics guy is. He calls "Nathan" and tells me he'd be there in a few seconds.

Five minutes go by and no Nathan. The same kid goes walking by again and he says that Nathan is on break. I ask if he can get him. He says no problem. Another couple of minutes go by. I'm getting very inpatient now and walk over to Customer Service. They tell me that Nathan should be there, but he's on break. I'm like "I don't care, I need an iPod." They say someone will be over shortly.

Another few minutes go by and here comes the kid that told me that Nathan was on break twice. He says he's got the keys and the scanner and will be able to get me an iPod. Perfect. He scans the 15GB iPod. "Sorry, we don't have that one."

"That's fine, get me the other."

"We don't have that one either."

I completely lose my shit. "You mean to tell me that I've been waiting here for 15 fucking minutes and you don't have this? Why didn't you tell me this in the first place. You're a friggin retard."

The kid apologized and that made me more angry. "This store fucking sucks," I yelled and walked out.

Here's the thing, after I did that, I felt terrible on one hand and not so terrible on the other. Terrible because I lost my cool on some kid who probably gets paid $6.00 an hour who really has no control over the situation. In my defense, the kid obviously didn't give a shit. He did just enough to get me off his back. He didn't give two shits about me or the old couple that was asking for his help.

I watched as no less than five people passed me without asking if I needed a hand. Contrast this to Best Buy who were almost up my ass asking if I needed help and CompUSA (where I ended up getting the iPod) where they were also pretty quick and helpful. I may write a letter to Target, maybe I can get something free.

So when I was in my car, I was thinking of all the things I'd like to do besides work, here is a short list:
  • Write a screen play or sitcom
  • Take hallucenigenic mushrooms
  • Move to Ireland and open a pub
  • Paint
  • Read philosophy books
  • Move to Los Angeles
  • Travel to Italy or Spain
  • Create a cartoon

So the Sox sucked last night, and they were very close to blowing an 8-1 lead tonight. I was thisclose to giving up on them if they did that tonight. They drive me nuts. Speaking of teams that drive me nuts, I give you the Reading Softball Dominos. We're freaking terrible.

Last night we lost 11-3, making at least eight errors. And it wasn't just physical errors, there were a bunch of mental ones too. Throwing behind runners, thinking we can nail guys at home, swinging for the fences. We're terrible. And even though I went 1-3 with an RBI, I air mailed a throw from right that almost went into the street.

But the worst part was after the game, finger pointing, back biting, crying, bitching ... I felt like I was in a sorrority house. Just a bunch of friggin babies. I hope it changes ... in the very least, there are only four games left. One being tomorrow.

Either tomorrow night or Thursday night, I'm coming back with another edition of "Watching TV with 19." I bet you bastards can't wait for that. Also, I think I'm going to start looking at all of the comic strips I hate and commenting on them here. That should be a lot of fun.

 



No comments: