Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Finally, A New Strip

Ok, I've been a bit laxed in my Blog entries, but I've been really busy. You'll find out on Thursday when I post a mega-Blog.

But today is all about the comic strip. This is the first one that I scanned in and uploaded myself. If I had to grade this, I'd give it a B or a B-. There are a few things that I don't like, but for the most part, I think I did a pretty passable job. Especially considering I'm using a program that's at least five years out of date.

If you have no idea what the hell I'm talking about go here: www.room19comics.com

Anyway, this strip features Kurt and Eddie chillin' at the bus stop. And Eddie starts talking about his older brother who seems to be into the whole music scene. Like any aging hipster, Eddie's brother is raging against newer music. Why? Who knows, why does anyone hate music that has a "2" in front of the copywrite date?

There's a lot of people like Eddie's brother in the world today, myself included, who think that music topped out when they were in their formative years. And while grunge dudes like myself are bad, no one loves themselves like a baby boomer.

Ask a BB when the earth was created and most will say around 1947. Ask them about "classic" eras in sport, music, television, movies, literature, anything and wouldn't you know that they were young throughout all of these eras. Never mind that the number one song of 1967 (the Summer of Love) was the Archie's "Sugar, Sugar" or that the number one TV show of that era was "The Beverly Hillbillies".

I'm not trying to crack on these folks, because you hear and see a lot of this stuff, not so much from people who went to high school and college in the 70s and 80s, but the other two decades most definitely. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that most of the kids in the 90s were sons and daughters of the children of the 60s.

But getting back to the comic, Eddie calls these people out, and while I wanted to use language a bit more salty, I abstained. After all, this is a family strip.

Ok, I'll talk to you on Thursday ... then I'll have a story about a former Globe columnist, a bris and two movies. If that doesn't whet your appetite, I'm afraid nothing will. And this weekend, I'll give you my Sox midseason report.

No comments: