Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Best ... So Far

This might be a quick entry because it's late and I'm hungry. This comic that you see before you is my favorite one I've done so far. I know I sound like I'm being arrogant, but I'm not, I just really was inspired to write and draw this one.

And for those of you who don't know, go to the July 4th entry in this Blog to find out the real story. This, and this is actually the first time I've ever got to say this, is based on a true event. Just goes to show that inspiration can strike anywhere, even on a T subway.

And for those of you on my Blog who don't know what the hell I'm talking about, go to www.Room19comics.com

There are a few things that I really like about this strip and a couple things I don't. Let's start with the things I dig. In the first panel, I like the woman bumping into each other and I like how Eddie has eyes closed and is just spacing out while listening to his tunes. You can sort of tell that something is about to happen.

BTW, all three of these dudes have on shirts that I actually own. The guy in the 24 shirt (a shout out to my favorite drama) was supposed to be black, but the shading didn't come out correctly ... thank God for Photoshop.

The second panel was an experiment. I wanted to see if I could do something a bit different, but I wanted to get my point across at how bitchy this lady was. I think I did a pretty good job in that. The one part of this panel that I'm a bit discouraged with is the eye balls ... she looks like the Ghost Rider or something.

BTW, this is what the Ghost Rider looks like:

Her eyes are just too damn dark. I guess that's one of the hazards of doing a strip in black and white. There aren't many shades of gray.

I really like the third panel because the expression of Eddie's face and the gigantic question mark popping out of the panel. This is the first strip I've done where he was the straight man and said nothing. Usually Kurt supplies that role, but I think that Eddie did a good job with it.

The one thing I don't like about this panel is the back of the woman's body. Her hair is sort of messed up and I think that I made her too fat.

The fourth panel is ok, stylistically it's sort of flat compared to the other three, but in a way, I think that it works. I really wanted her to stand out to the reader with her missive about people not being polite. To make it a bit more powerful, I decided not to have anything in the background. Does it work? I'm not 100% sure, I'll leave that to you to decide.

BTW, this is the first time that I've drawn a woman in my strip. To be honest, I have a lot of trouble drawing the female form, but this one was pretty easy, because she was so dang lumpy. Nothing like a woman who looks like walking mashed potatoes.

Speaking of potatoes, I'm getting something to eat.

No comments: