Tuesday, July 05, 2005

A comic culled from my past

Aren't you the lucky little monkeys? Two Blog entries in two days. The reason why yesterday's never made it to the comic page is because I was in Franklin and Aly's dad doesn't have Dreamweaver. So, if you want a cool story about me yelling at a fat lady and read Aquaman's latest, go a bit past this entry.

New cartoon is up today. It's a pretty good one if I do say so myself. And if you still aren't hip to the radical new web site taking America by storm, go to www.room19comics.com and become a true believer.

The title of this Blog says it all, this is actually a story from my sorted past. When I was in college I had a roommate named Bob. He's a good guy, pretty smart, super laid back, smoked more grass than anyone I knew, but never really let it affect him. Bob was from northern New Hampshire and besides being a bit of a hillbilly, all of his friends went to "Good Old State U", otherwise known as the University of New Hampshire.

One of Bob's best friends was a dude named Thomps. Thomps was the type of guy who'd tell you the exact opposite of what you'd expect to hear because he wanted you to either argue with him or admire his "brazen" attitude. Unfortunately for Thomps he was full of shit and wouldn't choose the right subjects to be a contrarian about. One of these things was his view on the weather.

Thomps proudly told anyone who walked by that he wears shorts until the first snow fall. It could be 21 degrees with a wind chill of 2 and he'd be strutting around in his cargo shorts wondering what everyone was looking at. He loved the attention, but since it's really not that big of a deal, most of the time people ignored him. This lead to him asking "Wanna know why I'm wearing shorts?"

As you can tell, very lame.

I didn't want Eddie to be lame, the way I picture him, he's a dreamer and from time to time finds himself trapped in the (recent) past. When he gets made to come into the real world, it often hits him like a bucket of cold water. So there's a lesson to be learned here, don't live in the past.

There are two things you should notice about this strip, one: it's a four-panel one. That makes the site a bit compact. Once I figure out how to resize it, it'll be ok. The other is, look at Kurt's jacket. I purposely made it grow larger with each panel to sort of drive home how cold it is and how foolish Eddie looks in a spring jacket.

On Thursday I'm coming back with another Blog entry, I'm going to review a couple movies I saw this weekend and we can talk about some other stuff too. Talk to you then.

No comments: