Monday, June 20, 2005

Presenting Room 19 Comics

It's up.

After months of hype, talk and other crap, I finally got my comics on line. And the cool thing is, I can have my blog as part of it all. I'm really pumped about that.

In any case, this is the first edition of Room 19 Comics, found ironically enough at www.room19comics.com. Let me know what you think.

Every Wednesday, I will be updating the comic site and I'm going to do a bit of explaining of the strip, though it should be able to stand on its own. For example, this strip is a direct rip off of the very first Peanuts cartoon. Check it out here:



Probably not the best way to start out a new career, but I truly was inspired by the best, and I noted that when I said thanks to Charles "Sparky" Shultz in the bottom of the first panel. My hope is that the overall tone of this strip will mirror Shultz' character's mellancholoy of the first few decades or so of Peanuts.

A lot of people hear "Peanuts" and they think Charlie Brown, Snoopy, greeting cards, stuff like that, but before it was licensed, it was a pretty ground breaking strip. In the past, kid strips were all about goofy little problems, such as sharing an ice cream cone or wondering if the tooth fairy will leave you enough cash for your back molar.

Shultz turned this whole idea on its ear by making Charlie Brown and his gang like little adults. They had worries, pathos and insecurities that probably made adults bristle when they first read it. And that's why the strip became so popular. If you ever get the chance pick up the first two years of the Peanuts cartoon, it's in hardback form and there's a forward by John Updike. It's excellent stuff.

Am I saying that my cartoon is going to equal Peanuts in popularity or brilliance? God, I hope so, but it's not going to happen right away. With this web site finally up and running, I am now forcing myself to be more responsible for my creation. If I miss a week, it's my fault now. I have all of the tools and knowledge, it's up to me to make it work. And I will.

So that's where I am, I hope that you enjoy the strips and keep coming back. There's going to be some bumps along the road, but if you stick with me, I'll get better and I promise you'll like the cartoon more too. You can access my Blog on the site (it will be updated every time I update my Blog) and if you feel like it you can also email me. I will also be posting more links soon, so if you have a couple, feel free to send them over.

The one last thing I have to do is offer big thanks to two people: Nick Giordano for putting this whole thing together, on his own time he helped me take a vague idea in my head and transform it into a tangible site. As you can tell, he's done awesome work. Really, it's tremendous. You can check out his site here: www.giordanodesigns.com

Also, I want to thank Aly for pushing me to do this. While the mind was often willing, the flesh was weak, and I do need a kick in the ass on more than one occasion. Thank you very much for providing the inspiration.

No comments: