Thursday, February 14, 2019

Randy Kutcher 1990 Topps

On May 1, 2018 I received this card from the Baseball Card Bandit (BCB):



On Facebook, I wrote: It’s been a little while,but the BCB dropped off another card a few days ago. This time it’s from Hong Kong and it’s for former Red Sox backup backup outfielder Randy Kutcher. 

If you don’t remember Randy Kutcher, I don’t blame you. I’d always confused him with Sox fourth outfielder Kevin Romine. Romine was a bit better though. Kutcher was dreadful. 

2019 Notes: in a few days you'll read a bit about Kevin Romine. For some reason the Sox were really intent on keeping two back-up outfielders in the late 80s. Kutcher played five years and finished with a 228/285/377 slash and 10 homers. Romine played seven years at 251/306/325 and seven dingers. These two players are practically the same, I'm not sure why one of them were on the Red Sox, never mind two. 

For some reason, I want to say that Kutcher was always whispered as the team's third-string catcher. And according to baseball-reference, he did catch! In 1989, Kutcher played one game (2.2 innings) as a catcher in the major leagues. Good for him. 

He didn’t do much for the Sox. He wasn’t fast, he didn’t hit with power—in 1989 he hit more triples (three) than homers (two), which is odd. For some reason he got 160 ABs that year and basically struck out a third of the time. Use that stat the next time someone tells you Joe Morgan was a genius. 

In 1989, that many strikeouts was a big deal. And also he barely walked. All-in-all Randy Kutcher pretty much sucked. However he was:

- traded by the Sox to the San Francisco Giants for Dave Henderson at the 1987 trade deadline, which definitely colored my view of Kutcher. Hendu was my favorite, I was devastated when they let him go. BTW, did you know that Hendu wore a “Fuck Boston” T-shirt under his uniform for the rest of his career? The fuck, Dave?

2019: when I read about Henderson -- and I can't recall exactly where I found this -- it really bugged me. From what I remember, he was beloved in Boston. Even when he sucked in 1987 (and Henderson was not good when he won the starting centerfield job that season) I don't recall anyone booing him. Maybe he was pissed off at Boston management, but then again GM Lou Gorman rescued him from Baseball Siberia, aka the Seattle Mariners. 

- he was born in Alaska. I bet him and Curt Schilling talked a lot about that during spring training before Curt was sent to Baltimore. At least I imagine they did. I sometimes used to make up fake baseball player conversations. 

2019: I can't recall any athlete whose star has fallen faster than Curt Schilling -- non double homicide division. I don't even want to get into his issues, it's just way too depressing. 

- in high school, one of my friends Christopher Graham Baird called him “Crater Faced” Kutcher. That was an appropriate and funny nickname. Kudos to you, Chris! Your nickname is more memorable than the player.

No comments: